Hire an Exterminator to Help Get Rid Of Pests
If you just noticed pests in your home, chances are you are scrambling to get rid of them. The best way is to hire an experienced pest control specialist who will not only be able to get rid of the current pests, but their treatment will keep pests away for several months. Quarterly pest control maintenance is suggested as the best method of keeping bugs and other critters away.
How To Keep Home Pest-Free
Even the cleanest of homes is susceptible to a potential pest infestation. However, there are quite a few different preventative measures that you can take to help keep your home pest-free for as long as possible.
Pest-Free Home Tips
- Because pests are attracted to food, it's important to always wipe down kitchen surfaces, table tops or any food spills. Don't leave dishes in the sink for long periods of time. Properly seal foods that are stored in the pantry, especially baked goods and any loose foods such as flour and sugar.
- Make sure all pet food is stored in sealable containers. If your pet is a messy eater, pick up any loose pieces of food from the floor as these are sure to attract ants.
- Vacuuming frequently not only gets ride of dirt and debris, but it also helps eliminate dust particles which often attract dust mites. It is important to vacuum up any small pieces of food that may land on the floor.
- Do not allow garbage to gather either at home or outside. Keep garbage bags tied tightly and placed into a closed garbage can. Larger animals such as raccoons and opossums are known for digging through trash. These animals also tend to return to the same location if they know that trash is easily accessible. It may be best to invest in a heavy duty garbage can lid that is hard to knock over.
- Ensure all screens in your windows are installed properly to prevent large gaps. Pests such as spiders and other creepy-crawlers are mainly active at night. Keep your garage door closed at night as larger wild life may try find shelter inside, away from the cold.
- Keep your home, backyard and garage clutter free. Many pests often make nests in cluttered areas, especially if it's a spot that is rarely cleaned. Move any lumber or firewood away from the side of your home to prevent rodents from burrowing between the wood.
- While it is impossible from keeping all critters from turning your backyard into their home, you can prevent a majority for turning into an infestation by simply up-keeping the outside of your home. This includes cleaning out your gutters, raking up piles of leaves and trimming bushes and tree branches, especially ones that are near your home.
- Most pest live in small cracks and holes through your home, some of which you probably are not aware of. It's best to seal any visible cracks and repair any holes or damage to walls, trim or your roof.
Keep Your Home Pest-Free
As a home owner, these tips should become a quarterly routine. As the seasons change, different treatments can be done depending on your geographical location. Those in warmer climates often have different pests than those who live in cold, wet climates so it's best to learn what preventative measures you can take. Unfortunately, continuous treatment using store-bought pest control solutions can add up over the year, so it might be more cost effective to have a pest control specialist come in and use their commercial treatment solutions to get the job done. If you are not able to keep up, it's best to have a professional pest control company come in, asses any damage that may have been caused by current or previous pest, and apply treatment where necessary. Pest control companies have the tools necessary to handle all types pests, from ants and cockroaches to larger wildlife, like rats and raccoons. Depending on your pest situation, you will receive a detailed plan of action to help get rid of any pests and help keep your home free of pests for as long as possible. These companies specialize in keeping your home pest-free; let them do all the dirty work so that you can enjoy your pest free-home.